The National Honor Society (NHS) and National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) are the nation’s premier organizations established to recognize outstanding high school and middle level students. More than just an honor roll, NHS and NJHS serve to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Character (and Citizenship for NJHS). These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since their beginnings in 1921 and 1929.
Today, it is estimated that more than one million students participate in activities of the NHS and NJHS. NHS and NJHS chapters are found in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, many U.S. Territories, and Canada. Chapter membership not only recognizes students for their accomplishments, but challenges them to develop further through active involvement in school activities and community service.
Click Here for the NHS Directions and Application Form
Description taken from the NHS National Website: http://www.nhs.us/
At Hutchinson High School, we have had an NHS charter since 1994. Students who are eligible for this organization will be notified in advance of the selection period.
- New NHS students must have, and maintain, a minimum GPA of 3.5.
- Members are expected to uphold the ideals and rules of NHS.
- Members are expected to complete their service component on a yearly basis through joint membership in the Key Club.
Other items of note:
- Students who do not actively participate in core functions will be dismissed from NHS and will not have the opportunity for reinstatement.
- Early in September, all juniors and seniors who are eligible will be notified and selected based on their completed application.
- Induction will take place in November.
- Officers will be selected in May of the year.