Second Step is taught in all of our classrooms, grades 2-5. Please read for information about this program.
We want your child to be as successful as possible at school. Success in school is not just about reading and math. It is also about knowing how to learn and how to get along with others. The counselors use the Second Step program in each classroom, at every grade level, to teach these critical skills.
The Second Step program teaches skills in the following four areas:
- Skills for Learning: Students gain skills to help themselves learn, including how to focus their attention, listen carefully, use self-talk to stay on task, and be assertive when asking for help with schoolwork.
- Empathy: Students learn to identify and understand their own and others’ feelings. Students also learn how to take another’s perspective and how to show compassion.
- Emotion Management: Students learn specific skills for calming down when experiencing strong feelings, such as anxiety or anger.
- Problem Solving: Students learn a process for solving problems with others in a positive way.
Your child will be learning a lot throughout the year – and he or she will need your help! Throughout the year, emails will be sent containing Home Links that coordinate with numerous Second Step lessons. Home Links are simple, fun activities for you and your child to complete together. In addition, they are a great tool for you to understand what your child is learning and for your child to demonstrate what he or she nows.
Want to learn more about Second Step? There are videos and lots more information that can be found at their website. Go to www.secondstep.org and enter the corresponding activtation key:
- Second Grade: SSP2 FAMI LY72
- Third Grade: SSP3 FAMI LY73
- Fourth Grade: SSP4 FAMI LY74
- Fifth Grade: SSP5 FAMI LY75